Non-League round up: Cooper delighted as Met Police claim Maidstone scalp

Jim Cooper was elated with his side’s performance after Metropolitan Police upset high-flying Maidstone United to win 2-0 in the Ryman Premier.

Met Police started on the front foot and were rewarded with a ninth-minute goal scored by Jack Knight. The striker deftly guided a header into the bottom corner from Billy Crook’s cross.

Substitute Matt Pattison sealed the win late on as he dribbled past two defenders to slot the ball calmly past Lee Worgan, and manager Cooper was pleased with how his tactical plan came together.

“I’m delighted as we have just beaten a side that are the best in this division by a long way,” he said.

“In the second half, we changed our shape and played on the counter-attack. We also had to defend really well as aerially they are a massive threat, but I thought that Steve Sutherland and Rob Bartley dealt with the situation really well.”

Met Police next host Walton & Hersham in the Surrey Senior Cup on Tuesday.

There was also another upset in the same division as Hampton & Richmond shocked league leaders Margate with a 2-0 victory.

The Beavers made it two wins from their last three league games with goals from Charlie Moone and Nick Bignall.

Kingstonian were unfortunate as a late Mark Kirby goal secured a 1-0 win for Enfield Town.

In the Vanarama Conference South, Sutton United lost narrowly to Bromley 2-1. Joseph Dubois scored a few minutes from time to leave the Us without a win in five games.

In Ryman League Division One South, Carshalton Athletic lost a thriller to Herne Bay 4-2. The Robins were 3-0 down at half time, but restored some pride after the break scoring two goals through Austin Gacheru and Jordan Clarke.

Tooting & Mitcham lost to Merstham 3-2 despite Frankie Sawyer’s double ensuring that the Terrors remain just outside the play-off positions. Walton & Hersham were also beaten by Whistable town 2-0.

Billy Dunn struck twice to ensure the spoils were shared as Walton Casuals drew 2-2 with Hastings Town. Corinthian Casuals also drew with Sittingbourne 1-1.

In the Combined Counties League, Raynes Park Vale beat Ashford 3-1.

Colliers Wood United progressed to the third round of the FA Vase by beating Pagham 2-1.

Related Articles