Wandsworth jogger injured in serious car crash praises NHS staff and police officers

A Wandsworth jogger who was seriously injured after she was involved in a road traffic collision with a car has today met with and thanked the police officers who saved her life.

Rosie Mowbray, 24, of Merton Road, was running along Durnsford Road November 11 last year.

At around 6.20am she attempted to cross the junction of Durnsford Road and Arthur Road when she was involved in a collision with a Smart car.

The impact of the collision sent Rosie hurtling into the air before landing in the middle of the road.

PCs Jonny Greenfield and James Hutchinson, response team officers based at Merton, immediately attended the scene.

Upon arrival they found Rosie, a recent graduate of the University of the Arts London, lying in the middle of the road with vehicles still trying to drive through the junction around her.

PC Greenfield immediately positioned the response vehicle they had arrived in front of the oncoming traffic to protect Rosie and requested further units to assist them with securing the scene.

His colleague PC Hutchinson began closing off some of the junctions and called upon a member of the public who was driving a lorry to use his vehicle to block the junction to offer temporary protection for emergency staff.

Paramedic Roland Spencer arrived on scene to treat Rosie and PC Greenfield assisted him, collecting emergency equipment from his vehicle and maintaining Rosie’s airways and spine while the paramedic prepared his equipment and began to assess her.

Following this PC Chris Clack arrived on scene and assisted the officers in securing the cordons and identifying witnesses.

Due to the nature of Rosie’s injuries the air ambulance were called and arrived on scene.

PC Greenfield assisted further along with PC Clack by pinning Rosie’s leg straight in order to maintain blood flow, prevent further injury and to free up the consultant from the air ambulance crew to assist the other medical staff in bracing her spine and placing her into a medical induced coma.

Once Rosie was stabilised, the air ambulance consultant was able to take over from PCs Greenfield and Clack to splint her ankle.

When Rosie was placed in the ambulance PCs Greenfield and Clack were able to search through her property and identify her next of kin details via her mobile phone.

Rosie, an advertising product coordinator, was taken to St George’s hospital with life-threatening injuries including multiple head injuries, a chest injury, a fractured shoulder blade, a fractured pelvis, a broken right leg and a displaced right ankle.

She was placed in intensive care and was unable to communicate for several weeks – Rosie is making steady progress, learning to walk again and remains in rehabilitation.

The driver of the vehicle, a 51-year-old man, stopped at the scene and attended a south west London police station where he was interviewed under caution. Enquiries are ongoing.

PC James Hutchinson said: “Being the operator of the first car arriving on scene, I quickly realised how serious this incident was and that our actions could make a real difference and I’m glad that they did.”

“I am very pleased that Rosie is progressing well and I know that all officers who attended in any way shape or form have taken a real interest in how she is doing.

“It was an honour to meet such a strong and resilient young lady who has shown strength and courage to pull through from such a horrendous incident.”

PC Jonny Greenfield said: “After a long night duty this was a very traumatic event to end a shift on but I am pleased that I was able to assist the LAS and air ambulance crew that day in order to help save Rosie’s life; giving her every possible chance to make a full recovery.

“I have followed Rosie’s progress and this is one of those moments in my police career that makes me proud to be a police officer, knowing that the training the Met has given me has enabled me to help Rosie.”

Rosie’s father, Adrian Mowbray, 50, said: “We, as a family would like to express our heartfelt thanks to all who attended and helped that day.

“We would also like to pass on our thanks to the staff at St George’s Hospital who have also been outstanding in their care and dedication. We cannot thank them all enough.”

Dr Colette Griffin, clinical lead for traumatic brain injury at St George’s Hospital, was Rosie’s consultant neurologist during her admission.

She said: “We are all delighted to see the incredible improvement that Rosie has made.

“Her injuries were very severe indeed, and at every stage in her recovery she has impressed us with the speed of her recovery.

“Her family have been incredibly supportive and have been with her every step of what must have been a terrible journey for them.

“I am pleased to say that the recovery that is possible with traumatic brain injury patients never ceases to amaze me.”

Related Articles