Non-League review: Mixed fortunes in FA Cup qualifying as late drama knocks Hampton & Richmond out

A contentious late penalty knocked Hampton & Richmond out of the FA Cup first qualifying round on Saturday.

The Beavers lost 1-0 at Dulwich Hamlet, but Tooting & Mitcham and Kingstonian progressed, the latter after a reply, with Met Police in replay action tonight.

At the Beveree, Dulwich’s 85th-penalty saw the Beavers exit the competition at the first hurdle.

Substitute Joe Hicks brought down Rhys Murrell-Williams inside the box with his first touch and Ashley Carew calmly placed the ball into the bottom corner to send Dulwich through.

Hampton had opportunities to score but Charlie Moone had an attempt cleared off the line, Jerome Federico put an excellent chance wide and Moussa Diarra headed over from a corner.

Hampton & Dulwich line up
CALM BEFORE THE STORM: Hampton & Richmond and Dulwich Hamlet line-up

Substitute Brendan Murphy-McVey’s second-half winner rescued Tooting & Mitcham’s cup hopes against Farnham Town as they set up a second qualifying round tie with Brackley Town with a 2-1 win.

Playing against a team from a league below them, the Terrors were favourites and led when Jamie Byatt netted a Billy Marshall throughball after ten minutes.

But Farnham looked increasingly settled as the half went on and Matt Glass capitalised on poor defending to equalise after 39 minutes.

Murphy-McVey was introduced 10 minutes after half time and linked up with Serge Mafoko to score the winner.

They did need two goalmouth clearances and saw Byatt miss a late open goal before the whistle though.

Manager Frank Wilson singled out central midfielder Billy Marshall for praise.

He said: “I thought he was probably one of the few players that stuck to his roles and responsibilities and gave a worthy performance to the standards we’re setting.

“We weren’t happy with the level of football we played and the decisions we made.”

Kingstonian will go to Dunstable Town in the next round after beating Farnborough 3-2 on Monday night following Saturday’s 1-1 draw.

Despite playing against 10-men for 79 minutes on Saturday and leading through Ricky Sappleton’s penalty, they were pegged back and had to meet again on Monday.

“We started well and got the goal but when they went down to ten men our movement just wasn’t good enough,” said Williams on Saturday.

“We had four key players missing and that’s going to affect any side and the enforced changes didn’t help us.”

Early goals from Jake Kempton and Ty Smith, plus a third before half time from Dan Bennett made the replay a much easier task, despite a late second for Farnborough meaning a nervy last few minutes.

Metropolitan Police played out a goalless draw with Sittingbourne and they meet again tonight.

Away from the FA Cup, goalkeeper Ross Worner saved two penalties to help Sutton United inflict Gosport Borough’s first defeat of the season in the Vanarama National League South.

Worner made saves in either half to ensure that Craig McAllister’s goal gave the hosts’ a 1-0 win.

In the Combined Counties League, Sutton Common Rovers recorded their first win of the season by beating Badshot Lea 2-1.

Goals from Francois Gabbidon and Nemo Adams gave them a two-goal lead before Jon Palmer pulled one back for the home side.

Strikers Richard Wetton, Ashley Nadesan and Leyton Regan grabbed a goal each as Raynes Park Vale suffered a 3-1 away defeat to Horley Town on Saturday.

Related Articles