Residents get back to normality after St Jude’s storm batters South West London


By Ellie Harvey

South West London residents have been getting back to normal today after the so-called Storm of 2013 caused disruption and chaos for most of yesterday.

Many ended up having to work from home as the Met Office warned not to make any unnecessary travel until the afternoon. South West London commuters were severely affected as Southern Railway and First Capital Connect were amongst the first to cancel all trains until at least 12pm, meaning that there were no services to Clapham Junction, Mitcham Junction, Wimbledon, Sutton, Epsom and East Croydon.

Ambulances were called out to a number of injuries including a pensioner who was injured when a falling tree fell on his car in Wimbledon’s Church Street. Emergency services rushed to the scene at 6:51am and the 70-year-old was taken to St George’s Hospital in Tooting.

National Rail released a statement later that morning informing that London Overground services were to be suspended until approximately 13:30pm. Air travel was also affected with Heathrow cancelling 130 flights.

Many of Wimbledon’s roads were severely disrupted including Wimbledon Park Side which was blocked in both directions due to a fallen tree at Inner Park Road, the A3205 Battersea Park Road was also blocked due to a fallen tree.

The Environment Agency issued 16 flood warnings in South West London alone, including the Ravensbourne in Croyden, the Wandle in Wandsworth, Merton, Lambeth, Croydon and Sutton and the River Mole going through Epsom, Elmbridge and Kingston.

Sutton police reported a very busy morning as they announced that they had received five calls in a two hour period from apprehensive citizens informing them of trees being blown over due to high winds.

All Royal Parks in London, including Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens, were closed and Kew Gardens in Richmond, home to 14,000 trees remained shut due to losing 12 trees.  A significant amount of broken branches around the site meant it was closed on Tuesday as well.

Photo courtesy of aldisley, with thanks.

Follow us @SW_Londoner

Related Articles