‘Weeded out’: Emergency services stumble across cannabis farm while attending Merton house fire

A cannabis factory was discovered in New Malden after emergency services attended a house fire yesterday, two arrests have been made.

The London Fire Brigade were called to the property in West Barnes Lane at 6:27pm on Thursday evening.

After dealing with the fire, believed to be caused by carelessly disposed cigarettes, the fire brigade discovered approximately 200 plants of the Class B drug.

Police officers have since made two arrests for the cultivation of cannabis with both suspects now in custody.

The fire was under control by 6:53pm and the police were alerted at around 7pm.

The fire brigade were called by a shop keeper who saw flames coming from the window of the maisonette above his shop.

Firefighters rescued a man from the flat and brought him out to safety.

He was treated on scene by London Ambulance Service crews for slight smoke inhalation.

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said:“There were no working smoke alarms in the property.

“Everyone should have at least one smoke alarm on every level of your home and the safest option is have those linked together.

“This will give the earliest warning if there is a fire in your home.”

Two fire engines and 10 firefighters from New Malden and Sutton attended the incident.

This follows a similar discovery of around 200 plants in South Croydon yesterday.

Government figures show seizures of cannabis in England and Wales reached their lowest number in eight years last year.

In 2014/15 96% of drug seizures in England and Wales were made by police forces with the Border Force accounting for the other 4%, showing the emphasis of cutting down on home-grown farms.

Merton Police advise anyone with knowledge of drug related crimes to contact them on 101, unless urgent when 999 should be used.

Image courtesy of the Metropolitan Police, with thanks

Related Articles