Morden murder update: Detectives arrest second man in Daniel Young stabbing investigation

A second man was arrested last night on suspicion of the murder of Daniel Young in Morden.

A 35-year-old man was arrested on Thursday January 21 and is being held in custody in a south London police station.

A potential motive is yet to be established and detectives are keeping an open mind as to whether Mr Young was attacked by a stranger or someone known to him.

Detective Superintendent Paul Monk, of the Homicide and Major Crime Command, said: “I understand the concerns of the public and particularly the residents of Merton, that the attack on Daniel Young was unprovoked and potentially committed by a stranger in a random attack. We too share those concerns and have allocated significant resources to find the person who did this.

“Detectives are currently conducting house-to-house enquiries. Specialist officers continue to carry-out extensive searches in Kendor Gardens and the local area. Significant CCTV and forensic work is also underway and we are confident that the investigation will move forward quickly.

“I reiterate that random attacks of this nature are thankfully rare in London, however we keep an open mind and at this early stage are not ruling out any line of enquiry.

“This is a very busy area, and was particularly busy with people going to work and commuters walking to nearby rail and tram stops.

“A number of people came across Daniel after he was attacked and tried to help him – I believe there may be more witnesses who have yet to come forward, or perhaps have not realised the significance of something they have seen. I appeal to them to call the incident room or Crimestoppers.”

A post-mortem examination at St George’s Hospital in Tooting found the cause of death to be a stab wound but police are not discussing where on the body it was.

Mr Young, 30, was stabbed when he was walking through Kendor Gardens, near Morden tube station, at around 8am on Tuesday and was pronounced dead at the scene.

A 26-year-old man was also arrested on suspicion of wasting police time and subsequently arrested on suspicion of murder.

He has since been bailed to return to a south London police station on a date in early March pending further enquiries.

Anyone with any information is asked to contact the incident room on 020 8721 4961 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Image courtesy of Metropolitan Police, with thanks

Related Articles