Police identify Tulse Hill murder victim as spate of stabbings continues

The teenager murdered in Tulse Hill on Monday was identified by police last night as 16-year-old John Ogunjobi.

John was found in Greenleaf Close at around 11pm on Monday with stab injuries and was pronounced dead at the scene 40 minutes later.

Police today said no arrests have been made and enquiries are ongoing as they appealed for witnesses.

His death is part of a spate of fatal stabbings in south London recently with five knife murders in the last week.

Chief superintendent Simon Messinger, commander of the Central South Command Unit, said: “One murder is one too many with the devastation it causes to families, friends and communities difficult to comprehend.

“Tackling violence is a priority and one which remains at the forefront of all the work we do.

“This includes utilising our local resources but also supplementing them with resources from across the Met, including the Violent Crime Taskforce.”

A post-mortem examination held yesterday at Greenwich Mortuary confirmed cause of death as a stab wound and detectives are investigating whether a gun was fired nearby.

Detective chief inspector Richard Vandenbergh said: “I am appealing to anyone who has information that could assist this investigation to come forward and speak to police.

“We believe the victim was attacked by a number of suspects and the altercation would have undoubtedly drawn the attention of those who were in the vicinity.”

Officers are also appealing to anyone who may have captured footage or images of the incident on their mobile phone to get in contact.

Anyone with information is asked to contact the incident room on 020 8721 4961 or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111, or tweet information to @MetCC.

Meanwhile, this morning a second teenager was charged with the murder of a 17-year-old boy in Clapham last Friday.

Treynae Campbell, 18, of Longfield Crescent, Sydenham is now in custody and is due to appear at Bromley Magistrates’ Court tomorrow.

This follows the arrest of an 18-year-old man this Monday on suspicion of murder who is now on bail until November.

The murder victim, Malcolm Mide-Madariola died in hospital after he was stabbed in Balham Hill, near Clapham South underground station.

A 17-year-old boy also appeared at Bromley Magistrates’ Court on Wednesday and is next due to appear at the Old Bailey on Friday November 9th.


Related Articles