An 18-year-old male has been arrested by police investigating the Parsons Green tube attack that injured 29 people.
- Eyewitness report ‘running for their lives’ after explosion
- Death toll could have been dozens, if bomb had exploded, say experts
- President Trump’s reaction tweet is criticised by Prime Minister Theresa May
- London mayor slams police cuts after terror attack
- Parents praise local primary school for reaction as children left in tears
The man was arrested by Kent Police in the port area of Dover this morning under section 41 of the Terrorism Act.
He remains in custody at a local police station and will be transferred to a south London police station in due course.
Deputy Assistant Commissioner Neil Basu, Senior National Co-ordinator for Counter Terrorism Policing, said: “We have made a significant arrest in our investigation this morning.
“Although we are pleased with the progress made, this investigation continues and the threat level remains at critical.
“The public should remain vigilant as our staff, officers and partners continue to work through this complex investigation.
“We are not, at this time, changing our protective security measures and the steps taken to free up extra armed officers remain in place.
“This arrest will lead to more activity from our officers. For strong investigative reasons we will not give any more details on the man we arrested at this stage.”
Anyone with information is urged to call the Anti-Terrorist Hotline on 0800 789 321 or, in an emergency, always call 999.
- 81The UK terror threat has been increased to the highest level after the so-called Islamic State claimed responsibility for an attack on a Tube. Eyewitness report 'running for their lives' after explosion Death toll could have been dozens, if bomb had exploded, say experts President Trump's reaction tweet is criticised…
- 76Eyewitnesses reported scenes of ‘total chaos’ as shocked commuters ‘ran for their lives’ after a terror explosion on a packed London Underground train. Police confirm it was a terrorism explosion 22 people injured, none seriously London Mayor condemns attack, Prime Minister to chair meeting of COBRA emergency committee Foreign secretary…
- 73Football clubs in south west London have shown solidarity with victims of this morning’s Parsons Green terror attack. Premier League Chelsea Football Club tweeted: “Our thoughts are with everyone affected by this morning’s incident at Parsons Green. Do stay safe.” Fulham Football Club shared this with their followers: “Our thoughts…
- 71Donald Trump has condemned the ‘loser terrorist’ behind this morning’s attack at Parsons Green. The US President called for the UK to be proactive after ‘another attack’ by ‘sick and demented people who were in the sights of Scotland Yard’. Twenty-two people were injured in the bucket bomb terror attack…
- 71The Home Office and police were yesterday accused of ‘fundamental failings’ over the Parsons Green terror attack last year in which more than 50 people were injured. Parliament’s Intelligence and Security Committee accused the Government and security services of a multitude of errors in the case of Ahmed Hassan, 18, who…