New boy Kinkor the hat-trick hero as Streatham Redskins comfortably beat Milton Keynes Thunder to go top

Streatham Redskins 4-2 Milton Keynes Thunder

A Kamil Kinkor hat-trick sent Streatham Redskins top of National Ice Hockey League South One following victory over Milton Keynes Thunder.

Kinkor’s treble and an effort from Liam Rasmussen were enough to extend Streatham’s start to the season to three wins out of three, in what proved to be a comfortable home triumph against the side that knocked them out of last season’s play-offs.

Final period goals from Ed Knaggs and Paul Gore brought Milton Keynes back into contention with a few minutes to go, but they were largely kept at bay thanks to some fine goalkeeping from Redskins’ Will Sanderson.

He narrowly missed out on claiming his sides’ man of the match award though as Kinkor’s first goals for his new club proved too hard to overlook.

Kinkor scores his first v MKT Sep OFF THE MARK: Kamil Kinkor scores his first Streatham Redskins goal

“I couldn’t wait for my first goal to go in but the guys kept saying it has to come soon and that once you get one, the second and third will soon follow,” said Kinkor.

“The guys kept me motivated throughout and it paid off.

“We work hard in practice, we are like a family and the fans are bringing us closer and closer together every game.”

With Wightlink Raiders only managing a 2-2 draw away to Oxford Stars, Streatham were confirmed as the new league leaders much to Sanderson’s delight.

“That feels really good to hear, its early days but it’ll be nice to look at the table and see us on top,” he said.

“But it’s a long season ahead so we’ve still got to keep playing well.”

Kinkor turns to celebrate after scoring his first goal in Streatham colours v MKT ON THE MOVE: Kamil Kinkor shows his delight after netting his first

A moment of confusion from Milton Keynes’ goalkeeper Damien King midway into the opening period handed Kinkor his first of the night, and it couldn’t have been much easier.

King mistakenly left his goal during play believing Streatham were awarded a delayed penalty call, but they hadn’t been and, after receiving the puck from Joe Allen, Kinkor guided it into the open net much to King’s horror.

Moments later Kinkor doubled his tally when he received Dominic Hopkins’ pass on the edge of the defensive zone and skated through the MK team with ease to score high into the right-hand corner of the goal.

The intensity rose in the second period as frequent feisty exchanges between the two sets of players resulted in the Redskins giving away a number of penalties.

Dubious refereeing calls and late body checks caused tempers to flare but nevertheless Streatham managed to successfully kill off each of the power play periods.

Rasmussen and Wood celebrate Streatham's third goal v MKT Sep DOUBLE JOY: Liam Rasmussen and Adam Wood celebrate Redskins’ third

In the 31st minute they went 3-0 up when Rasmussen, unassisted, found space in the middle of the attacking zone to power his shot high to the goalkeeper’s left.

It looked in the final period that Streatham would go without conceding at Sanderson made a string of saves during yet more power-plays to repeatedly deny the visitors.

However, his goal was finally breached in the final period when Knaggs took his opportunity when the hosts were short-handed in the 52nd minute to fire past a resilient Sanderson.

The momentum did not stay with Milton Keynes for long though, as in the next minute Nicky Chinn took procession of the puck for Streatham and skilfully weaved around a host of defenders to feed in Kinkor for his hat-trick goal.

With the game now all but over, Milton Keynes closed the scoring with one final effort when Gore placed his shot over the out-stretched right arm of Sanderson to provide a score line that flattered the visitors.

Redskins hosts Oxford City Stars at 5.30pm on Saturday.

All images courtesy of Rick Webb, with thanks

Related Articles