AFC Wimbledon down dogged York to delight boss Ardley and progress in FA Cup

AFC Wimbledon 3-1 York City

Matt Tubbs’ late double gave Wimbledon a laboured victory over York City in the first round of the FA Cup at Kingsmeadow last night.

The Dons trailed until the 71st minute courtesy of a stunning fifth minute Wes Fletcher volley, hit from 30 yards out.

Jack Smith equalised for Neal Ardley’s men, before Tubbs found the net for the first time in seven games, his double effectively killing off any chance of a York revival.

Dons’ boss Ardley said: “In the first-half we lacked penetration, but after the break we added a lot more energy to our play.

“I’m delighted, the boys have had a really tough schedule of late and for them to keep going and going until they got the win is something they can be proud of.”

In a first half of few chances, 1955 FA Cup semi-finalists York took an early lead through Fletcher, who caught everyone in the ground unaware, including Dons keeper James Shea, with a speculative looping volley that Shea could only flap at as it nestled in the middle of the net.

Wimbledon’s best chance of the half fell to midfielder Dannie Bulman, the former Wycombe man’s lobbed effort from 20 yards left York keeper Michael Ingham helpless as he watched the ball drop just past his right-hand post.

After the break, Wimbledon were lucky not to go further behind on two occasions, both chances fell to Jake Hyde, scorer of York’s goal in the initial fixture between the two sides, and both chances were tremendously dealt with by Shea.

Smith’s 71st minute strike was Wimbledon’s first shot on target of the second half. Frankie Sutherland crossed from a deep position and Adebayo Akinfenwa rose to knock down for former Millwall man Smith to drive low across Ingham.

Nine minutes later the Dons were ahead through Tubbs, who raced on to Akinfenwa’s ball to fire low past former Northern Ireland international Ingham.

The York keeper was desperate to help his side progress and joined his team-mates in Wimbledon’s penalty box when the Minstermen won a 90th minute corner.

But the corner was cleared to Dons’ top scorer Tubbs and the striker beat last man Femi Ilesanmi, who started his career at Wimbledon, before rolling the ball into the net to wrap up a satisfying result for Ardley and his side.

Wimbledon now progress into the second round where they meet Wycombe Wanderers, who sit third in League Two under the stewardship of Ardley’s former team-mate Gareth Ainsworth.

“When we played Wycombe away in the league we didn’t even get near an attempt on goal, so I have to make sure I come up with a plan to get past them in the cup but it won’t be easy, Gareth is doing a great job there,” added Ardley.

“A third round tie would be massive. One good draw could set us up (financially) for seasons, especially with what we’re trying to achieve here with the stadium.”


Related Articles