All to play for after late equaliser sees Streatham draw play-off semi-final first leg

Streatham IHC 3–3 Invicta Dynamos

Dan Rose’s late goal last night ensured Streatham go into tonight’s play-off semi-final second leg all square with Invicta Dynamos.

A fiery affair in the first leg of the NIHL South One play-off semi-finals in south London saw Streatham twice take the lead but end up having to snatch a draw.

Streatham looked the stronger of the sides in the opening period and it didn’t take long for them to get in front as George Norcliffe diverted James Warman’s shot past Damien King into the Dynamos goal in the fifth minute.

Two successive penalties against Streatham’s Steven Fisher and Ryan Webb didn’t seem to affect the home side, as they stayed resilient on the powerplay and could have seen their lead doubled if not for an inspired few saves from King.

With Invicta cutting frustrated figures on the ice, tensions started to rise as both Streatham’s Mason Webster and Invicta’s Jack Tarczycki served two minute penalties for holding late in the first.

The second period couldn’t have started worse for the Redhawks as Invicta levelled on 21:49 through Scott Bailey.

The Mo’s certainly looked in control throughout the period with Streatham making some sloppy passes, however against the run of play the home side edged in front on 31:38 with Webb restoring the lead.

With Warman sent to the sin-bin for elbowing, Invicta made the man advantage count by grabbing their second on 37:43 through Callum Fowler.

Tempers boiled over on the buzzer with both sides entering the ice to square off, and another bust up on 48:21 saw a four-man brawl result in penalties for Streatham’s Adam Wood and Invicta’s Adam Řehák, with the Mo’s Tommy Ralph sent off, despite not being involved in the scuffle.

Play was stopped to clear blood on the ice after Bailey took an unseen check to the face and, after a slashing penalty against Chris Cooke, and with Wood still in the bin, Invicta made their two-man advantage count and took the lead through Ashley Jackson on 50:29.

With less that ten minutes remaining, Streatham went in search of the much needed equaliser, and got it on 57:34 as Rose grabbed the last goal to set up a nervy second leg for both sides in Gillingham tonight.

Feature image courtesy of Rick Webb, with thanks

Related Articles