Double-decker bus crash brings Wimbledon traffic to standstill


The crash, involving a double-decker bus and two cars, happened at the busy South Wimbledon crossroads this afternoon.


By Lizzie Dearden

A crash involving a double-decker bus and two cars brought traffic to a standstill at the busy South Wimbledon crossroads today.

The bus failed to stop after the collision happened around 12.45pm.

No-one was injured but a red Vauxhall Astra was severely damaged and a Renault was dented.

Astra owner Craig Wake, 22, was driving home from work at Nuffield Health in Wimbledon when the incident happened.

He said: “The bus was going right, he was running a red light and as I came around it hit me.”

The bus was turning from Merton High Street as Mr Wake attempted to cross the junction from Merton Road.

Mr Wake, from Morden, collided with the side of the bus, which crushed the front of his car.

He was left stranded in the middle of the crossroads with the car’s bumper hanging from the vehicle.

His car also collided with a Renault coming from the opposite direction in the incident.

The 35-year-old driver and his passenger, 34, continued their journey to east London after the incident.

The busy crossroads has long been a concern for users.

Daily user Harry McAlister, 22, said the junction is dangerous.

He said: “As a cyclist it becomes clear that the amount of traffic at the junction is too heavy for the lights to handle.

“There’s a general lack of respect for signals.”

The backlog of traffic started to clear around 1.15pm when Mr Wake was able to drive his car off the crossroads.

The bumper had to be carried separately and was left outside South Wimbledon station while a police officer dealt with the incident.

Mr Wake had owned the car for just nine months.

Aunt Julie Wake, who was following her nephew, said: “It was his pride and joy.”

Constable Roberts, who attended the incident, said the police would not be investigating the crash

He added: “The junction needs to be updated.”


Related Articles