The UK’s critical terror threat level may mean extra security at London events such as Wimbledon.
Monday’s horrific terrorist attack after an Ariana Grande concert at the Manchester Arena resulted in the death of 22 people, many of whom were children.
Following the attack, in which 120 were injured, Theresa May increased the threat level from ‘severe’ to ‘critical’ – the highest possible, with armed forces being deployed in London.
A spokesman for The All England Lawn Tennis Club, which has hosted the Championships since 1877, said: “The safety and security of all our visitors is of paramount importance.
“Throughout the year, the AELTC works closely with the Metropolitan Police Service and other relevant organisations to ensure that The Championships are as secure as possible and that our plans are commensurate with the existing threat level in London and the UK.
“We will take any appropriate measures to ensure the safety of the whole Championships.”
Military personnel have been stationed at Parliament, Downing Street, and Buckingham Palace.
A statement by the Royal Horticultural Society, which hosts the Chelsea Flower Show – finishing today – said: “We have an extremely robust security presence at the Show and work closely with the police and emergency services throughout the year to ensure an appropriate policing plan is in place.
“We would however like to ask visitors attending the Show today or this week to remain extra vigilant and to report anyone or anything suspicious or unusual to a member of staff or security immediately.”
The organisers of MCM London Comic Con, which is due to take place over this weekend and often draws many costumed attendees, warned people to consider carefully any replica weapons that may make up part of a costume.
A spokesman said: “MCM Expo Group is working closely with ExCeL London to ensure that the safety and wellbeing of everyone who comes to the venue is our top priority.
“Visitors attending this weekend (26-28 May) will be subject to increased security checks and therefore we anticipate longer queue times than normal.”
The spokesperson added that bag checks would be in place at every entrance and exit.
Since the levels were introduced, the UK’s terror threat level has never fallen below ‘substantial’ – and it has been higher than that since August 2014.
Salman Abedi, the 22-year-old son of Libyan parents behind the Manchester atrocity, is believed to have travelled to and been radicalised in Syria before returning to Britain.
Police believe Abedi acted as part of a network, and ten arrests have been made so far in the UK in connection with the incident, with two being later released.
Featured image courtesy of David Holt, with thanks