Nutella jar used to store loom bands sparks Twickenham house fire killing beloved pet dog

A Nutella jar used to collect loom bands is to blame for a serious house fire and the death of a beloved pet dog in Twickenham on Sunday.

The Murphy family home on Fielding Avenue was set alight after a Nutella jar, which had been set on the windowsill, reflected low sunlight causing the blinds to catch fire.

London Fire brigade Twickenham house fire Nutella smoke
DEVASTATING: The smouldering remains of the home

The blaze, which was attended by four fire engines and 21 firefighters and officers from Twickenham and Felham fire stations, destroyed a first-floor bedroom and damaged the roof.

Although the family weren’t in the house at the time sadly the family dog, Chili, was unable to escape the burning house.

Charlie Pugsley, from the brigade’s fire investigation unit has warned of the dangers of leaving glass in direct sunlight.

London Fire brigade Twickenham house fire Nutella roof
GUTTED: The fire burned through the roof

“It sounds farfetched that a jar containing a few rubber bands caused a severe house fire but that’s exactly what happened, he said.

“It’s worth spending five minutes checking that your window ledges are clear of any glass or crystal that might lead to potentially life-changing blaze.”

Pictures courtesy of London Fire Brigade, with thanks

Related Articles