80 people are now believed to have died in last week’s fire at Kensington’s Grenfell Tower.
Met Police Commander Stuart Cundy provided the update to the number this morning and indicated that it could still change.
The 24-storey tower was engulfed by flames just before 1am on June 14.
Of the people who were injured, 18 people remain in hospital, with nine in critical care.
Commander Cundy again warned that the recovery operation would take weeks and that many victims may not ever be identifiable.
“This is incredibly distressing time for families,” he said.
“It is really hard to describe the devastation the fire caused.
“What is important for me is to find answers for those families who have been directly affected.”
He also said that the Met would consider all offences in its investigation, which would be ‘wide ranging’.
A minute’s silence was held at 11am this morning across the UK to remember the victims.