30 people are now known to have died in the Grenfell Tower fire as emergency services warn that more bodies remain in the burnt-out Kensington tower block.
The Metropolitan Police reaffirmed that they don’t expect any more survivors to be found inside the building, which caught fire just before 1am on Wednesday.
Speaking at a briefing, Met Police Commander Stuart Cundy said the recovery operation could take weeks, as in investigation headed by the Met starts in earnest.
He said: “The purpose of that investigation will be to establish the facts.
“This will be about providing as best as we possibly can answers for those who have been so deeply and tragically affected by the fire at Grenfell Tower.”
Mr Cundy said the investigation would consider whether any criminal offences had been committed and would also involve the London Fire Brigade and the Health and Safety Executive.
He added that there was nothing to suggest that the fire – which has also left 24 people in hospital, with half of those still in critical care – was started deliberately.
The Queen visited volunteers helping the relief effort this morning with Prince William after she praised rescue workers yesterday as pressure mounted on the authorities over their actions both in the run up to the disaster and its aftermath.
Some within the crowd shouted at the royals as the visit came to a close, just one example of the fury felt by residents over how such a tragedy could happen in one of the richest areas in the country.
It follows public criticism of Theresa May for only speaking to emergency service workers as opposed to victims when she visited the site yesterday.
Pressure on the government to take quick steps to prevent a similar fire is growing as it emerged that the cladding used on Grenfell Tower has been used on other high rise blocks across the UK.
Residents have also criticised the local authority as many of those left homeless struggle to find out where they will be rehoused in the medium term.