Teen who shot at police officers in Morden jailed for 11 years


Brian Mudziwepasi, of Charter Road, Kingston, was sentenced at Kingston Crown Court.


By Katie Richardson

A teenager who shot at police officers in Morden was jailed for 11 years on Wednesday.

19-year-old Brian Mudziwepasi, of Charter Road, Kingston, previously pleaded guilty to possession of a firearm with intent to endanger life and possession of a prohibited weapon at Kingston Crown Court on August 3.

But he later argued, at a Newton hearing on October 2, that he only fired a ‘warning shot’ at the officers but the Judge said the evidence overrode this claim.

The incident happened on February 21 at a block of flats on Morden Road.

Merton borough Sergeant Dean Croft, and PCs Jonathan Case and Jonathan Grabauskas, stopped Mudziwepasi at around 8.35pm as he was leaving with a bicycle.

One of the officers recognised Mudziwepasi and asked him to confirm his identity, which he did, but then refused to stop and pushed past them.

Instead he turned on the officers, pulling a silver handgun from the waistband of his trousers and pointing it at their heads.

Mudziwepasi ran away into Morden Road but turned and shot at the officers.

The officers dove to the ground as Mudziwepasi continued his escape down a nearby alleyway.

No one was hurt but a single shell casing, examined afterwards, revealed that the gun was a converted Baikal self-loading pistol.

Detectives from the Trident Gang Crime Command set up a manhunt and Mudziwepasi handed himself into Tooting police station on February 23.

Detective Chief Superintendent Darren Williams, Borough Commander of Merton, praised the officers for their bravery.

He said: “Thankfully none of them were injured when he callously and with no regard for them or members of the public turned and fired at them.

“He is obviously a dangerous individual who thankfully now faces a considerable length of time in prison to consider the consequences of his actions.”

Mudziwepasi was sentenced to 11 years imprisonment for possessing a firearm with intent to endanger life and six years concurrent for possession of a prohibited weapon.

Detective Chief Inspector Rebecca Reeves, Trident Gang Crime Command, said: “Thankfully, this kind of incident is rare on the streets of London.

“Mudziwepasi’s actions were reckless and could easily have resulted in serious injury to the police officers or to members of the public.

“I would like to thank them and all the other witnesses who gave evidence. This was a highly effective investigation, bringing together the skills of Trident detectives and specialist forensic scientists.” 

Follow us on @SW_Londoner

Related Articles