A grass fire broke out in Hounslow this weekend, only three days after the borough council announced preventative action following two grass fires last week.
Ten fire engines with about 70 firefighters responded to the latest fire on Hereford Road in Feltham on Sunday at 4.35pm.
The fire burned trees, hedgerows, shrubs and decking, but homes were spared.
About 60 residents were evacuated from their homes due to thick smoke.
No cause of the fire was given.
Station Commander Tamer Ozdemir said: “Firefighters have worked incredibly hard in hot, arduous conditions to stop the blaze spreading to nearby properties.”
He credited their hard work with saving about 30 homes.
Sunday’s incident follows two fires in the area last week, the first of which occurred on August 1 on Hatton Road in Feltham, burning about six hectares.
Around 100 firefighters from 15 engines battled that blaze.
One day later a fire erupted in Hanworth Park on Uxbridge Road burning about three hectares with 40 firefighters involved, the cause of which is under investigation.
The August 2 fire resulted in significant damage to park fields, although it’s expected there will be a full recovery of plants, trees and habitat.
Mitigation measures announced by Hounslow Council on August 4 include increasing park patrols to cut back vegetation, doubling the width of firebreaks, and removal of litter.
Signs also are being put up to remind the public of their role in preventing future fires.
The council is also urging people to adhere to the ban on barbecues and open fires in parks.
It also wants people to take great care in disposing of cigarette butts and to refrain from littering in parks.
In particular, the council emphasises that discarded glass bottles can cause fires through the magnifying effect of the glass on sunlight.
Councillor Salman Shaheen credited firefighters for their bravery in the first two fires, but noted these incidents could spiral.
“Fires in Britain’s open spaces will become increasingly common as we feel the impact of climate change,” he said.
“But I want to reassure residents, especially those living close to the parks, that we have robust measures in place to tackle these incidents and are strengthening them further,” he said.