The death of 22-month-old Tiya Chauhan who choked on a jelly cube during a play session at a Wimbledon nursery has been described as ‘distressing and tragic’ by Ofsted.
Tiya tragically died in hospital on August 24 2012, having been found unconscious the previous day at the Dicky Birds nursery on Dundonald Road in Wimbledon.
The jury recorded a verdict of death by an accident contributed to by neglect at Westminster Coroner’s Court yesterday.
The official government body for inspecting children’s services had described nursery staff before the incident as ‘vigilant about children’s safety’ in its March 2011 report.
An Ofsted spokesman told SW Londoner: “This is a distressing and tragic case, and our sympathies are with Tiya’s family.
“Safeguarding of children is paramount in all that Ofsted does, and we will carefully consider this verdict and the implications for Ofsted in the light of any recommendations from the coroner.
“The March 2011 inspection took place before Tiya’s tragic death.
“The report reflects what the inspector found in relation to how the setting was operating at that time.”