London Mayor Sadiq Khan praises emergency services while also criticising government police cuts in the wake of the Parson Green terror attack.
- Police confirm it was a terrorism explosion
- 22 people injured, none seriously
- London Mayor condemns attack, Prime Minister to chair meeting of COBRA emergency committee
- Foreign secretary urges Londoners to ‘keep calm’
- Hotline number for those worried – 0800 789321
Mr Khan said: “I would like to pay tribute to the commuters on the tube, to TfL staff and the others who acted quickly this morning.
“Thankfully there aren’t any life-threatening injuries.
“I’ll pay tribute to the police who as we speak are following up various lines of enquiry to ensure the people responsible are caught.
“We need to make sure the public are the eyes and ears of the police.
“The focus has to be catching and apprehending those responsible.
“The phrase used by counter terrorism experts a few weeks ago was this is not a spike, this is a shift.
“The terrorists have stepped up attempts to kill us, injure us, and affect our way of life.
“Londoners will notice an enhanced police presence on London transport networks.
“London needs more resources to keep our city safe. Since 2010 we’ve lost hundreds of millions of pounds of the police budget, reduced police stations.
“For a global city like London, we will not be able to keep our citizens safe if the government continues to make the cuts they have been making.”
Since 2010 varying forces staff posts have deceased by 15,000 (19.5%).
Counter terrorism hotline 0800 789 321.
- 10000Donald Trump has condemned the ‘loser terrorist’ behind this morning’s attack at Parsons Green. The US President called for the UK to be proactive after ‘another attack’ by ‘sick and demented people who were in the sights of Scotland Yard’. Twenty-two people were injured in the bucket bomb terror attack…
- 10000Eyewitnesses reported scenes of ‘total chaos’ as shocked commuters ‘ran for their lives’ after a terror explosion on a packed London Underground train. Police confirm it was a terrorism explosion 22 people injured, none seriously London Mayor condemns attack, Prime Minister to chair meeting of COBRA emergency committee Foreign secretary…
- 10000Police are treating an explosion on a packed commuter tube train in south-west London as terrorism. A ‘fireball’ and ‘wall of flame’ ripped through the London Underground services, with commuters on the District Line at Parsons Green fleeing in terror after a blast in a bucket shortly after 8am this…