Zac Goldsmith has won approval from his constituents to stand as a Conservative candidate for London mayor.
The Richmond Park MP balloted constituents posing the question ‘Do you give your consent to Zac Goldsmith to stand for election to be Mayor of London?’
— RPNK Conservatives (@RPNKTories) June 23, 2015
The vote received 26% turnout with 15,802 constituents say he should stand for mayor with 3,569 against the idea.
Mr Goldsmith said: “I am hugely grateful to the residents of Richmond Park and North Kingston for taking part in the ballot, and am overwhelmed by the mandate they have given me to run for Mayor.
“For five years I have campaigned hard on the issues that matter to my constituents, whether fighting to stop Heathrow expansion, pressing for free parking to help our small shops, stopping plans to charge people for enjoying Richmond Park, or campaigning to give voters more power over their MPs.
“I have seen how a campaigning MP can make a real difference. Boris has shown what a strong, campaigning Mayor can achieve for the whole of London.
“He has secured investment, created jobs, made our streets safer and much more. On his watch, London has become the world’s greatest city with all the benefits that brings.
“We need to continue to build on that progress, making sure London works for all Londoners.
“That means bearing down on unsustainable rents and helping more Londoners own their own home; continuing to improve and grow our transport system to cut delays and deliver value for money for commuters; promoting a healthier living environment for London families.
“It means working closely with Government to ensure Londoners get a fair deal and standing up to Government when we don’t.
“Having just been given the green light to run by my constituents, I have a lot of work to do to earn selection as the Conservative Party candidate for Mayor.
“I will work tirelessly to repay my constituents’ loyalty and to gain the trust of Londoners so we can make London an even greater and more liveable city.”
Mr Goldsmith is now set to join other Conservative candidates for the role at a hustings on July 4.
- 10000Zac Goldsmith has thrown his hat into the ring to stand for nomination and become the Conservative candidate for London mayor. The Richmond Park MP revealed his intention to the Evening Standard saying that he was encouraged to do so by those ‘from across the political spectrum’. The environmentalist, who…
- 10000Labour hopeful Sadiq Khan has set out his ambitious plans to increase affordable housing and slash publish transport costs. After resigning from his position as Shadow Justice Secretary last month, Mr Khan spoke to SW Londoner about his mission to sway Conservative and Lib Dem voters with plans to make…
- Sol Campbell reveals he WILL stand as Conservative mayoral candidate in bid to replace Boris Johnson10000Sol Campbell has announced he will stand for election as London mayor just three months after rejecting to stand for the safe Conservative seat of Kensington and Chelsea. The former England defender told Sun Nation that with his working class background he could ‘bring something new to the table’ and ‘give something…
- 10000Tooting MP Sadiq Khan has resigned from his role in the shadow cabinet – paving the way for his mayoral ambitions. Mr Khan tendered his resignation to acting Labour leader Harriet Harman today marking what’s expected to be his entry into the selection content which officially launches on Wednesday. The…
- Pixar-inspired houseboat photobombs Mayor of London Boris Johnson before docking on Thames in Putney10000A floating house inspired by tear-jerker Pixar movie UP docked in Putney today where a competition winner will spend the night with three friends. To celebrate the legalisation of Airbnb in London, the company is giving Annabelle Knowles-Obiri and her friends a tour of Putney followed by a massage, a…