A witness to the Harrods Bombing of 1983, national security has always been at the forefront of Louise Rowntree’s politics.
Running as the Liberal Democrat candidate in Chelsea & Fulham, the 41-year-old firmly believes that Brexit will make the United Kingdom more vulnerable.
Despite campaigning in a Conservative safe seat, Ms Rowntree finds that many constituents may be changing their political allegiances.
She said: “The big difference is the reaction on the doorstep compared to the reaction in the polls.
“I have met many former Labour and Conservative voters saying they are going to vote Lib Dem.
“I have former Conservatives funding my campaign and knocking on doors with me.”
Brexit remains the big issue for voters in this constituency and in light of the Manchester bombings the need for continued data sharing and international arrest warrants have taken on a particular significance.
Ms Rowntree promises an alternative to the Conservative’s ‘hard’ Brexit, with an assurance that Prime Minister Theresa May’s leadership will not go unchallenged.
She said: “Ultimately what the Liberal Democrats are about is giving people a choice.
“Our vision is to have a vote on the final Brexit deal and for many people that is a light at the end of the tunnel.”
Nationally the Liberal Democrats have struggled to make substantial headway in the polls, with mixed evidence of a ‘Lib Dem comeback’.
However, Louise Rowntree remains optimistic that she will win her seat and be able to challenge Theresa May’s government.
She said: “I have always loved that Britain embraces democratic opposition.
“Now more than ever, Britain needs a strong opposition to limit the damage being wreaked by the new Conservative government’s closed plan for Britain’s future.”
- 10000Conservative Greg Hands has held on to the Tory safe seat of Chelsea and Fulham albeit, with a reduced majority of 8166. Mr Hands took 52.6% of the vote ahead of his nearest challenger, Labour's Alan De'Ath who increased Labour's share to 33.2% from 23.1% in 2015. Labour candidate and councillor, Alan De'Ath challenged…
- 10000Brexit and terrorism proved the most controversial topics at yesterday's Chelsea and Fulham hustings. Liberal Democrat candidate Louise Rowntree took aim at Conservative candidate and former MP Greg Hands over his parliamentary vote on triggering Britain's exit from the EU. Ms Rowntree said: “I was pleased to hear that our MP Greg…
- 10000The Liberal Democrat candidate for Chelsea and Fulham, Louise Rowntree, experienced a heart-warming sign of humanity on Monday night. Mrs Rowntree left a bag containing her house keys, wallet and nomination papers on the London Underground only to find one exceptional person had returned it to her address. Egyptian doctor Ahmed Salah Mazeed, 31, noticed…
- 66All the General Election breaking news from south west London constituencies and across the UK – follow us on Twitter @SW_Londoner #SWLGE2017 Catch up on our blog below, check out all our stories from across the region at our special general election index and read our midday election special. Live…
- 61Divisive Brexiteer Kate Hoey has defied criticism from her own Vauxhall Labour Party and the Lib Dems over her ‘Leave’ vote in the EU Referendum to retain her seat. Her anti-EU sentiment led her to a well-publicised appearance sailing down the Thames with Nigel Farage which drew heavy criticism from…