SWL.TV is launching today.
An online television channel bringing coverage of South West London news and events is launching today.
The new channel SWL.TV, which is working in partnership with SW Londoner, has already built up a collection of reports on local events, art & culture, things to do, businesses, transport &travel, and local Issues like policing and commuting.
The channel was piloted by an audience of 1000 and has recently taken on more presenters and crew ahead of the launch.
Peter Fison, the founder and executive producer of SWL.TV, said: “The big broadcasters with their multi-million pound studios have only ever paid lip service to local interest programmes.”
He added: “Who wouldn’t be excited about reaching 2.7M neighbours through YouTube if you had a message to share and the cost wasn’t exorbitant?”
The channel aims to make high quality, professionally produced programmes that are interesting and entertaining for local people.
And with a recent report claiming YouTube is the second most popular search tool, Peter realises the demand for video information.
“If my daughter wants to learn how to make Crêpes Suzettes, the chances are she’ll watch Gordon Ramsay’s one minute video – the first search result we found together – in preference to wading through an online recipe book,” he said.
“In much the same way people will get a much better impression of the staff and facilities at say Battersea Zoo by watching our recent video report compared with just reading the marketing blurb.”
The channel is free to subscribers and soon you will also be able to watch videos here on SW Londoner.
Peter added: “This is pioneering stuff. We’ve got a top notch team and a bottomless pit of exciting ideas to report on. Everyone just sparks when I tell them about the concept. It’s going to be huge!”
To take an interest in your South West London community see: www.youtube.com/southwestlondontv and click SUBSCRIBE.
Follow us @SW_Londoner
- 45Summary:24 pages of news, features and sport from across the capitalImage:Read our latest print edition of SW Londoner below. You can also download a high resolution version by clicking the Newspaper Club link. Meet London's first underwater rugby club, discover London's most political street, find out which celebs are lending…
- 39South West Londoner: first for all your online news, reviews, features and sport from across Wandsworth, Merton, Richmond, Croydon, Kingston, Kensington & Chelsea, Hammersmith & Fulham, Sutton and Lambeth. Our dedicated team of reporters aim to provide the most in-depth breaking news as it happens, and with our offices based…
- Disgruntled south London train commuters delayed by ‘slippery rails’ caused by tail-end of Hurricane Gonzalo35The tail-end of Hurricane Gonzalo caused commuter rush hour problems in South West London this morning as hundreds of commuters faced travel delays caused by ‘slippery rails’. Some services were disrupted while others ran slow due to speed restrictions being put in place on the Wimbledon line. South West Trains…
- 35After a night of drama that saw Richmond wrested from Conservative control by the Lib Dems, South West Londoner brings you the latest news and reaction from the area with our 11:00am special. Inside you can hear from Richmond's first-ever Green Party councillors and read about the Conservative's successful defence…
- 34Summary:Reporter Joel Durston takes a look at how the events of 9/11 impacted South West Londoners.Image:By Joel Durston Tuesday the 11th of September 2001 started off as just any ordinary working day, for myself and, more importantly, for the world. The events of the day and their effects, however, have…