Tooting’s Labour MP Rosena Allin-Khan has set up a recent online campaign to petition the replacement of plastic straws with paper ones across all the 41 bars and pubs in Tooting, to reduce Tooting’s plastic waste.
Dr Allin-Khan said: “Protecting our environment is one of the most pressing issues of today, and I am committed to making sure that Tooting plays its part.
“Local businesses and residents are taking the lead, showing that small changes can make big difference.
“By introducing paper or compostable straws, businesses can play their part to reduce our country’s plastic waste. Local people can sign up and add their voice to our pledge online.”
So far, nine out of 41 bars and pubs from Tooting have made their pledge online but it would seem many more have jumped onto the bandwagon.
Krystal, an employee at The Antelope in Tooting said: “The less plastic, the better.
“The bar chose to change their straws from plastic to paper around a year ago now.”
She said: “All customers have been positive and happy about the paper straws”.
However, not all customers are happy.
Adam Barlow, Assistant Manager at The Long Room bar, which is already signed onto the pledge and has been using paper straws for the past 4 weeks, admitted there was a lukewarm response to the scheme.
He said: “There’s mixed reviews, some customers don’t like it and complain that as soon as you pour the drink, it goes soggy.
“But we have received some positive feedback”.
- 10000Dr Rosena Allin-Khan won by almost twice as many votes this morning as she did in the 2016 by-election. The Labour candidate won a total of 34,694 votes, almost doubling last year’s result of 17,894 and roundly defeating the Conservative Dan Watkins, who won 19,236 votes, for the second time.…
- 10000Labour's Rosena Allin-Khan has won in Tooting, massively increasing her majority over Conservative challenger Dan Watkins. Dr Allin-Khan first won Tooting in a 2016 by-election following Sadiq Khan’s victory in the London mayoral election, winning 55.6% of the vote. She worked as an A&E doctor at St George’s Hospital in…
- 10000The NHS will receive an additional £30bn if Labour are elected in June, Labour's shadow health secretary told supporters in Tooting. Jonathan Ashworth, candidate for Leicester South, chose Tooting Neighbourhood Centre as the venue for his Monday announcement of Labour’s election pledges for the NHS. The total of £30bn over…
- Tooting MP Rosena Allin-Khan backs popular Wandsworth Common café 'shown no respect' and facing eviction10000A popular Wandsworth Common café fighting against eviction has been backed by Tooting MP Rosena Allin-Khan. Café Blanca in Wandsworth Common station found out its lease would not be renewed by their landlord Govia Thameslink Railway in June, after 14 years on the site. But Dr Allin-Khan MP claims the…
- Record-breaking Tooting MP Rosena Allin-Khan named shadow sports minister in latest Labour reshuffle10000