A man died this afternoon after he was stabbed in a ‘shocking and violent attack’ on board a South Western Railway train.
British Transport Police officers were called to Horsley station at 1.15pm today after a man was stabbed on the 12.58pm train service from Guildford to Waterloo.
The victim was treated by paramedics and police but died at the scene.
British Transport Police believe both the suspect and victim boarded the train at London Road station in Surrey at 1.01pm.
After the stabbing, the suspect departed the train at Clandon station, approximately four minutes before the train arrived in Horsley.
Multiple officers are currently in the Clandon area attempting to find the suspect, but no arrests have been made.
Rail services are currently suspended between Guildford and Effingham Junction as emergency services remain at the scene.
South Western Railway has warned trains to and from Waterloo are expected to be disrupted until 9pm this evening.
British Transport Police have opened a murder investigation into the attack and officers are with the family of the victim.
Detective Superintendent Gary Richardson said: “This was a shocking and violent attack which took place on-board a train in broad daylight.
“We know that this was an incredibly frightening incident for passengers travelling on the train.
“We would encourage anyone who was on this train to come forward regardless of whether or not they think they can help our investigation.”
Police are urging anyone in Clandon who believes they see the suspect to call 999 immediately.
Anyone with any information is asked to contact the British Transport Police by texting 61016 or calling 0800 40 50 40.
Feature image credit: Stephen McKay.
- 67Police are investigating after a man was stabbed to death in Cathcart Road, Kensington last night . The emergency services were called at approximately 10:21pm, but the man later died at the scene. The incident happened after the man reportedly refused to hand over money to youths in the street. Responding to…
- 55A Mitcham shop formally surrendered its alcohol license yesterday after an investigation found it was selling alcohol to minors. The Metropolitan Police also found evidence that Ronnie’s Cutter, an off-license on Upper Green East, had been employing illegal immigrants and allowing children to sell alcohol unsupervised. The police said it…
- 53As knife and gun crime rates continues to rise, police still pursue Matthew Kitandwe’s killers one year on from his tragic death. Police are working with Crimestoppers, who are offering a reward to anyone with information about Matthew's death on June 21 last year in Battersea,. Police we called to…
- 53A man in his 40s was fatally stabbed in broad daylight in Clapham this afternoon. Police were called just after 2.30pm following reports of a stabbing on Clapham Park Road, close to Clapham Common tube station. Officers attended with London Ambulance Service colleagues, but despite the efforts of paramedics the…
- 51A 45-year-old man has been arrested following the fatal stabbing of a man in Brixton yesterday. He was arrested at his home in south London yesterday on suspicion of murder and taken into custody at a north London police station. The victim, in his 30s, was reportedly involved in a…