A former Crystal Palace striker was today sentenced to six years in jail for drug dealing.
Ben Kudjodji, 29, of Mulgrave Road, Croydon, had previously pleaded guilty to two counts of possession with intent to supply cocaine, possession with intent to supply herbal cannabis, possession with intent to supply MDMA and possession of criminal property.
Kudjodji, pictured below, came through the youth ranks at Palace but only made one appearance off the bench, as an 89th minute substitute in 2-0 win against Barnsley at Selhurst Park on March 15, 2008.
He left the club in the summer of 2008 and had unsuccessful spells at Bromley and Croydon Athletic.
He was sentenced today at Snaresbrook Crown Court alongside Karl Dowbiggin, 48, of Tapestry Gardens, Birkenhead, Wirral, who was sentenced to nine years’ imprisonment having pleaded guilty to possession with intent to supply cocaine and MDMA.
On July 2 last year, officers from the Metropolitan Police’s Organised Crime Command approached a car in Hurst Road, Croydon.
Kudjodji, who was in the driver’s seat, ran from police and was detained after a foot chase.
As Dowbiggin was removed from the vehicle, a blue carrier bag fell out of the car and was found to contain 2,000 MDMA tablets.
Police also found 125g of high purity cocaine in the driver’s door and £4,500 inside Dowbiggin’s rucksack.
The two men were arrested for possession with intent to supply MDMA and cocaine and a subsequent search of Kudjodji’s home recovered £28,000 in cash and a search of his girlfriend’s property recovered 146g of high purity cocaine, 28.7g of MDMA and 85g of cannabis, along with a set of electronic scales.
Detective Superintendent Neil Ballard from the Metropolitan Police Specialist Crime Command said: “These convictions show the MPS’ commitment to tackling organised criminals who seek to profit from the misery inflicted by the distribution of drugs.
“I am pleased that these two men now face a significant prison sentence.
“I would encourage anyone who has information regarding the supply of drugs to contact police with their concerns, so that appropriate action can be taken against the criminals involved.”
- 53Drug dealers who advertised ‘banging product’ with coded texts messages alluding to ‘rugby world cup’ deals were jailed at Kingston Crown Court on Friday. They were convicted for conspiracy to supply class A drugs including a haul of cocaine with a street value of over £13,000. The criminals used an…
- 44A 22-year-old man who told arresting officers ‘you’re going to see my mum cry because of this’ has been jailed following an operation targeting drug dealers. Mohammed Faisal Riasat, 22, of Warner Avenue in Sutton appeared at Kingston Crown Court on Wednesday. He pleaded guilty to possession with intent to…
- 42Two men have been jailed after they assaulted, robbed and falsely imprisoned their victim. Kieran Norton, 23, unemployed, of Millhouse Place, West Norwood and John Nicholas, 23, also unemployed, of no fixed address were both jailed for four-and-a-half years at Inner London Crown Court. The court heard how in the…
- 42An exclusivity agreement between a Chinese developer and Bromley Council to invest £500million in rebuilding Crystal Palace park expired on Sunday. The deal was signed in October 2013 after talks between the council, the Greater London Authority and Mayor Boris Johnson, and would have seen the ZhongRong Group rebuild the…
- JAILED: Knife-wielding burglars captured by brave Croydon police pooch slapped with six-year sentence41