Firefighters rescued 15 snakes and two dogs from a burning Selhurst home yesterday afternoon.
An unattended bonfire is believed to be the cause of a severe blaze which damaged two homes on Princess Road.
The fire started in the garden of one property and spread to the other house, badly damaging the ground and first floor – a man from the property was unhurt by the blaze.
The fire also damaged an adjoining property causing less but still substantial damage to ground and first floor.
An elderly woman fell while evacuating and was treated as a precaution by London Ambulance Service crews.
A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “When crews arrived they were faced with an intense fire which was affecting two properties.
“Firefighters saved two dogs and around 15 snakes who were in the house at the time of the fire.
“If you’re having a bonfire at this time of year make sure you never leave it unattended and always keep it away from your home, sheds or fences.”
The brigade was called at 1.40pm and the fire was under control by just after 3pm. Fire crews from Croydon and Norbury fire stations were at the scene.
Picture courtesy of London Fire Brigade, with thanks
- Fire brigade issues warning about objects in direct sunlight as sun’s rays spark another Croydon blaze66The lethal combination of a mirror and the low winter sun destroyed part of a Croydon flat yesterday morning. The concave mirror focused sunrays onto bedding which sparked a fire badly damaging the first floor Peregrine Gardens accommodation. A woman escaped after hearing the smoke alarm and was checked over…
- 64Part of a ceiling collapsed at a Chelsea school this morning injuring seven children. The school is believed to be GEMS Hampshire School on Manresa Road. No-one was trapped by the falling debris but seven children were taken to hospital with minor injuries, according to London Ambulance Service. Both London…