UPDATE: A 23-year-old man was shot by police during a planned operation into cash in transit robberies in South Wimbledon this morning.
A proactive operation was conducted by officers from the Met’s Flying Squad assisted by firearms officers.
During the course of the operation, which took place in the street, the man was shot by police.
He was taken by London Ambulance Service to a London hospital, his condition is not life threatening. He has subsequently been arrested for conspiracy to rob.
A second 23-year-old man has been arrested for conspiracy to rob. He remains in custody.
A suspected stolen car has been recovered at the scene.
Some roads have been closed and a forensic scene is now in place.
The Met’s Directorate of Professional Standards have been informed.
The Independent Office for Police Conduct has launched an independent investigation.
UPDATE: Children rushed inside primary school following South Wimbledon shooting.
The incident occurred just four minutes away from All Saints C of E primary school.
Teaching assistant Caroline Tyler, 59, said: “We took the children straight into the classroom.
“Normally they play in the playground before school but we took them straight in today.
“Some of the kids seemed aware of what was going on.
“We haven’t had any trouble here since the attack at South Wimbledon station a few years ago.”
South Wimbledon resident Alana Cuciureanu, 38, said: “I really think this year London has not been safe at all, I have two boys who are 14 and 16 and I am concerned about them.
“London’s not a very nice place to live and this area in particular seems unsafe.”
Nadelle Senda, 34, said: “I am shocked because it is not something that happens round here.
“Usually here it’s a road accident or a suicide.
“If it had been in Chelsea and a robbery I would understand but here is very poor so I doubt there was much to steal.”
A man was shot by police in a planned raid on a house in South Wimbledon this morning.
The pre-planned Flying Squad operation took place shortly after 8am.
The man’s condition is not known but was taken by ambulance to a London hospital.
The Metropolitan Police also confirmed a second man was arrested on conspiracy to rob.
— Haydons Road SW19 (@WimbledonMerton) December 3, 2018
Haydon’s Road is blocked because of the incident, which took between Quicks Road and South Park Road.
Police forensics activity is concentrated on Lancock Close, behind The Garden Shed pub.
They also appear to be focusing their attention on a car parked on an adjacent street.
A spokesman for Scotland Yard said: “A man has been shot during a pre-planned police operation in Wimbledon.
“The incident happened at about 8.10am on Monday, December 3 in Lacock Close.
“A proactive operation was conducted by officers from the Met’s Flying Squad assisted by firearms officers.
“During the course of the operation, one man was shot by police.”
The Met’s Directorate of Professional Standards have been informed and, as is standard practice for police shootings, the Independent Office for Police Conduct have launched an independent investigation.
— More to follow —
- 52A seven-year-old girl from Wimbledon has died after being attacked by a 55-year-old man on Friday morning. Robert appeared at Wimbledon Magistrates Court on Saturday morning and entered no plea to a single charge of attempted murder. Police have not named the defendant at this stage in order to protect…
- 49A range of security measures are being put in place in time for the start of the Wimbledon tennis tournament on Monday. A Met Police spokesman said the force has worked closely with the All England Lawn Tennis Club to prepare for this year's competition but would not discuss specific security arrangements.…
- 49Summary:Wimbledon residents are being told the added pressures of two major sporting events this summer will not lead to any disturbances.Image:By Mohamed Moallim Wimbledon residents are being told the added pressures of two major sporting events this summer will not lead to any disturbances. Aside from the annual tennis championships,…